This easy, homemade dry shampoo is, unlike store-bought ones, healthy for your scalp and the environment! It makes greasy spots invisible and adds a fresh scent to your hair.
Did you know which ingredients, that harm the environment and your body, are in the majority of dry shampoos?
- butane/propane: propellants/fuel gases
- isobutane: propellant, highly flammable and carcinogenic
- aluminum containing substances: irritating the skin
- palm-oil containing substances (like isopropyl myristate): harm the environment because huge plantations destroy the rain forest
- and others
So, there is no reason not to say yes to your own, customizable…
DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE
15 g cornstarch
15 g unsweetened cacao powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 drops essential oil
- just mix everything together
- add essential oils of your choice (I used lavender)
- fill in an old spice container or do it like I did and use aluminum foil provisional (I recommend switching to an empty spice container as aluminum is controversial)
How to use:
- comb your hair
- dust the dry shampoo on all greasy spots (especially scalp) and wait a minute
- use your hands to distribute the powder everywhere needed
- then use a towel to slightly rub the powder into your hair
- remove residue by combing again
Here is a close-up showing the powder consistency. If you have darker hair, double the amount of cacao powder in the recipe. If you have lighter hair, make the shampoo without cacao powder.
Enjoy your cheap and healthy bad hair day remedy!