You know I usually do not post recipes but this one here will surprise and impress you! I am a person that collects pieces of paper from recipes that catch my eye or appetite from any magazine I read and then puts these pieces into one huge folder. At this time, I believe I will never find the time to cook or bake all of them, ever 😀 But I always have a nice collection of recipes at hand for any occasion and as most of them are out of magazines focusing on organic, sustainable issues I always end up eating healthy food even if it is something sweet.
Now let me present to you the amazing Carrot Scones I discovered in the Eve magazine:
As the magazine is written in German, I will translate it for you.
- 2 organic carrots, cut into large pieces
- 3 tbsp cream
- 1 egg (I substituted with a mixture of water and corn starch)
- 300 g flour (I used whole grain spelt flour)
- 60 g raw cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 85 g cold butter
- 1 hand full walnuts, coarsely chopped
- powdered sugar with only a dash of water
- cook carrots for 15 minutes, drain and puree, then let cool.
- pre heat oven to 220°C
- mix carrots, cream and egg/egg substitute
- mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Add cold butter and combine with a dough hook until the butter pieces are no bigger than a pea
- add carrot-cream-egg mixture and combine until homogenous
- put the dough onto parchment paper, form a circle. Dough should be 3 cm thick.
- coat with a little cream and cane sugar
- bake 20 minutes
- put icing on top and enjoy when cooled down
benefits: there are actual vegetables inside which you do not taste! Perfect for children hating carrots or eating vegetables in general or anyone who wants to enjoy a sweet delicacy with a good conscience 😉
The inner dough is moist while the outer crust is crisp and refined with a layer of powdered sugar/icing sugar stirred into only a few drops of water. They are not too sweet, it is just the perfect amount of sweetness combined with a firm dough and the benefits of carrots 😉
We had guests while I was baking and they all came in and told me the whole flat smelled delicious. I also couldn’t resist eating a few scones right away…
I hope you enjoyed the pictures and are now on your way to the grocery store to bake those delicious scones and post the proof and tag me – happy baking! 😉