Today I had my “VIP” session at LUSH handmade cosmetics in Düsseldorf! I knew the brand before but I decided it was time to get to know it better because I appreciate brands which are on a mission to change the perception and way of creating cosmetics in a positive way for our nature.
Let me explain their principles:
They fight against animal testing, which means they do not perform any testing on animals for all their products. Furthermore they offer a prize for people and companies developing alternatives to animal testing and therefor being a role model for other brands and companies and a motivation for scientists.
By the way, most of the products (83%) are vegan and all of them are vegetarian as well as palm-oil free (soap base).
LUSH uses environmental-friendly packaging that is recyclable or, even better, uses no packaging at all! The have solid products for shampooing your hair, rubbing your feet, having a shower and therefor save on packaging, which I think is a necessary step towards less trash polluting our earth.
All products contain fresh ingredients like vegetables and fruits, as well as essential oils (some of them are cold-pressed = the best quality). Everything is processed in Poole, UK, where the headquarters are, except for the fresh face masks, which have to be used within four weeks and stored cold (since they do not contain any preservatives). These masks are produced in Germany so that these four weeks are spent in the customers home instead of on the road from UK to Germany 😉
Another great invention of LUSH is the charity pot. If you buy this hand and body cream, the proceeds go entirely to selected small associations and groups supporting environmental and animal welfare concerns.
60% of their products are produced without preservatives and the remaining 40% are labelled transparently so that the customer knows what is inside his product. In their catalogue everything natural is printed green whereas everything synthetic is printed black. This means you get a great overview of all ingredients. Besides all the ingredients are printed in English as well as in German which is not self-evident and a great advantage.
Now, back to the “VIP” tour: at first our lovely guide Vittorio presented the bathbombs which LUSH is specificly well-known for. He showed the Granny Takes A Dip bathbomb with its psychedelic effects and revealed that inside some of the bathbombs a little surprise is waiting for its moment (hint: similarity to fortune cookies…). My personal favorite is the Dragon’s Egg which is very fruity-fresh, lemon-and orange-flavoured.
As we reached the perfume selection and smelled our way through those very different, special odours, Juli (my friend and company) and I discovered the Sun perfume and fell in love with its tangy, fresh odour. It smelled like oranges and lemons and my first thought was…”we’re going to have some bee company this summer”.
Another new discovery are the toothy tabs (literally tabs instead of tooth paste). Some of them taste very strong, too strong for me. But the Chou Chou I Love You tabs are tasty and leave your mouth fresh even some time after you used them. I’m an advocate of their tabs because they contain herbs and spices instead of chemicals.
All in all I recommend booking a “VIP” tour. It’s fun and it smells incredibly good (sometimes you need to get used to it). I have to mention that Vittorio (picture above, right) had amazing patience with us and instead of an usual 30 minutes tour we talked about 2 hours! If I forgot to mention something I will add it soon or write another article.
Sooo… if you need a present for my birthday or something, feel free to grab something out of their gift shelf ( 😛 ) or supply yourself with a fresh alternative to usual cosmetics.
I’m looking forward to my next visit at LUSH Düsseldorf and I recommend chatting with the friendly and informative staff (picture below). See you soon!